OPEN HOUSE: Sunday, July 27, 1-3 p.m.
This is the tale of a perfectly adorable Key West Conch cottage.
Tucked into one of Old Town’s best neighborhoods, 923 Angela Street ticks off the boxes buyers want most when they’re searching Key West real estate with an eye toward customizing their new permanent or vacation home.
This Angela Street home boasts two bedrooms and a large bathroom, expansive living space, indoor-outdoor connections. It’s updated, historic, and is but one of less than a dozen homes in a quiet neighborhood away from the hustle and bustle of Duval Street.The Old Town location is within walking distance of everything and far enough away to provide serene privacy.
Although a successful buyer could move in and not lift a finger, this house has such great bones that you’d be hard-pressed not to engage an architect and contractor to transform it into a historic showstopper. Its $599,000 list price, one of the lowest among move-in ready Old Town Conch cottages, means you’ll get a great home with enough left over to create the home of your dreams.
Best price. Old Town location. Move-in ready
Let’s look first at what 923 Angela Street offers today. Then we’ll add some imagination to see how elegant those bones can become.
- This is a historic Key West cottage, built in 1933 (though likely earlier) and filled with Dade County pine, including wood floors and a “real” staircase to the second floor. Anyone who has wrestled with Key West’s makeshift spiral staircases or ladders knows just how valuable a real staircase is.
- With its perfect front porch for sunset views and gentle breezes, this 1,254 square foot, two-story home offers casual Key West living in a traditional setting. It has been updated successfully to include central air conditioning, a must-have on days when the breeze might not be enough.
- Brilliant, dappled natural light plays across the interior’s historic Dade County pine floors. and walls. A compact, easy-to-be-the-chef-in kitchen makes hosting guests – and entertaining them – efficient and graceful.
- The main floor, which features a large master suite and bath, opens to outdoor living through French doors onto the back deck and intimate garden. The covered lanai comes complete with a sweet spot for gardening.
- Unlike so many Conch cottages, 923 Angela packs an astounding amount of storage space both inside and out. A full-size laundry space, storage under the stairs and built-in storage on the lanai mean plenty of places to hide away your extras.
- Today, the large, light-filled, open concept second floor is a perfect retreat for guests or — if you must — an island home office or den. And, when your work is done, step out to the tree top balcony for expansive views of Key West.
- It’s in the highly desirable X-zone flood plain. No flood insurance required.
Create an award-winning home
Now, let’s use some imagination to create a home exactly suited to our lifestyle. Brenda Donnelly, the listing agent, has estimates available for several of these improvements, including the addition of a pool.
- Let’s create a massive master retreat on the second floor. We’ll add a cutting-edge, designer bathroom and steps to the rooftop deck. We’ll build in additional storage and create a sitting area and office under the huge side windows. And, we’ll still have room for a king-size bed and all the accessories.
- We’ll reconfigure the downstairs bedroom and bathroom into a guest suite that doubles as a relaxing indoor-outdoor living area opening onto the covered lanai and niche garden.
- While we’re on the lanai, we’ll remove the cistern and put in a wonderful six-foot by eight-foot pool with a water feature and freshen the landscaping with low-maintenance, drought tolerate native plants and palms.
- Out front, we’ll explore pulling the fence line in closer to the front porch, making room for temporary off-street parking while unloading groceries or guests or maybe a scooter.
- We’ll increase the height and depth of the front landscaping to soften the view overlooking the Key West Cemetery, which is your neighbor across the street. The good news about that is you are guaranteed an open, unobstructed – and peaceful – view of the evening sunset, complete with constant, cooling breezes. Some folks just don’t want a cemetery neighbor, and we understand, but in Key West that’s almost standard fare for this prime Old Town location. Think of it as your personal piece of island history.
- If you’d like, you can paint inside and out, but both have been done recently in soft neutrals and whites. And, you can strip the Dade County pine to its natural wood if that suits you.
The key point is that 923 Angela Street is a wonderful home as it is. With a little imagination, this home can be a magnificent historic renovation. Live in it full time. Rent it monthly and enjoy your perfect vacation home.